Daily Real Estate News | January 7, 2009 |
Distraught sellers who need to generate more interest in house that has been languishing on the market for months should consider 10 steps from MSNBC financial guru Laura T. Coffey
- Can the clutter. Pack up knickknacks, pictures, piles of paper and furniture that makes the place look crowded.
- Let the light in. Take down any heavy drapes.
- Scrub-a-dub-dub. Shampoo soiled carpets, Scrub the front door. Repaint scuffed walls. Tidy up the lawn and trim the shrubs.
- Get moving on the “honey do” list. Fix everything that is in need of repair.
- Enhance the view. Erect a fence or plant shrubbery to improve or obscure the view of unattractive nearby properties or streets.
- Try weeknights. Holding an open house on Wednesday may attract a different crowd.
- Ask for criticism. Consult with buyers’ agents for their feedback.
- Send the owners away. Ask them to vacate when potential buyers come around so they can talk freely.
- Rent to own. Give a potential buyer a little credit .Becoming a landlord may keep you from having to shoulder two mortgages.
- Drop the asking price. And figure out the lowest amount you’re willing or able to accept.
Source: MSN Money, Laura T. Coffey (01/06/2009)